In this tutorial ‘The Product Pitch – MODO Training for CPG’ The Foundry’s own James Darknell takes you through the entire workflow of building all the necessary elements for a new product pitch, aimed at the fast moving Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) market segment. Elements of the pitch include a rendered product shot of a realistic candy container filled with chiclet shaped ‘Fruit Bites’. You will also build and render the fruit elements that are used for the product’s label and then reused for a final mock advertisement.
During the course of the training you will touch almost every area of MODO, utilizing many modeling tools, Multi-Res sculpting, advanced Shader Tree techniques to build up all the various surfaces, global illumination, and high resolution rendering of all the realistic elements. Dynamics are also employed to realistically fill the container with the candy pieces. The completed package is then used to generate a high resolution mock print ad with additional particle elements combined with Replicators used to fill in the rest of the supplied layout comp.
With nearly 7 hours of training aimed at intermediate to beginning MODO users, the course covers an entire project from the initial pitch to the final rendered ad. After completing the training, you are certain to gain a better understanding of MODO in a ‘production’ workflow, as well as gain tips on how to set up projects to be flexible for the inevitable client changes.
- Video 01: Introduction — Introduction to the CPG product pitch and concept, followed by an overview of key MODO knowledge necessary for the training.
- Video 02: Modeling the Orange — Building the realistic orange, gathering reference and using Multi-Res sculpting to add in details.
- Video 03: Surfacing the Orange — Using Procedural shaders to create a realistic displacement map for the orange’s rind.
- Video 04: Making Lemons — Using the Orange as a base, the models is modified to be a lemon.
- Video 5: Modeling the Cherry — Using techniques applied in the earlier lesson, the Cherry is modeled with a realistic stem and leaf.
- Video 6: Surfacing the Cherry — Applying procedural textures to create a realistic surface and baking the textures out to image maps.
- Video 7: Posing the Cherries — Applying a custom spline deformer to pose the cherry stems and then freezing the result for later use.
- Video 8: Modeling the Strawberry — Baking out custom seed displacement maps and then applying them as a texture replicator.
- Video 9: Surfacing the Strawberry — Using subsurface scattering for realistic berry skin and applying fur to the leafy berry top.
- Video 10: All Fruits:– Composing the four fruit elements into a single scene for rendering the label image.
- Video 11: Modeling the Package — Modeling the candy container using Catmull Clark Subdivision surfaces.
- Video 12: Surfacing the Package — Using stacked shaders to combine the elements that create the completed package label.
- Video 13: Filling the Package — Using dynamics to realistically fill the container with the colorful candy pieces.
- Video 14: Candy Surfacing — Applying displacement maps to the candy for added realism and finalizing the surfacing on the container for a rendered product shot.
- Video 15: Creating the Mock Ad — Combining all the various elements and composing them into the final rendered image. Particles are employed to generate the candy spray.
- Video 16: Wrap-up — Project summary and wrap up.
What is included with the product?
- 16 videos segments
- 27 scenes in LXO format
- 20 assorted images and backdrops
All levels. Basic knowledge of MODO UI + navigation, some experience in general modeling will be helpful but not required.
Total run time:
06:49:41 (nearly 7 hours)
MODO 901 SP3 or greater
All files delivered via electronic download. Training videos are at 1920 x 1080 resolution and narrated in English.