The first thing users will notice is speed. Most scenes render 20-50% faster with V-Ray 3.3 for Maya, and it’s a free update for V-Ray 3.X for Maya artists. Also, this release introduces final frame production rendering on the GPU with a major update to V-Ray RT. Like V-Ray for 3ds Max, 3.3 for Maya adds Variance-based Adaptive Sampling with better noise detection for cleaner images. It also brings faster set-up with less adjustments since lights and materials can now be evaluated automatically. And these are just a few of the many new features.
V-Ray 3.3 for Maya is a free update for all V-Ray 3.x for Maya customers. Download here.
For users not on 3.x, there’s never been a better time to upgrade!
- Ray Traced Rounded Corners – Generate smooth edges at render time with no extra modeling
- Triplanar Mapping – Quickly apply seamless textures without UVs
- Stochastic Flakes – Create ultra-realistic materials with sparkle effects like snow, sand, and car paints
- V-Ray Falloff – Add falloff and fresnel effects based on viewing direction
- New Sky Model and Aerial Perspective – Simulate more natural looking skies with the new Hosek sky model, and add realistic atmospheric depth with Aerial perspective
- V-Ray Clipper with Render-Time Booleans – Create sections and cutaways using any mesh object
Faster Volume Rendering
- Faster volume rendering with probabilistic sampling
- Supports OpenVDB caches from Houdini 15 and FumeFX
- Preview volume grid objects in the viewport
Improved Global Illumination
- More robust reflective GI caustics for better light propagation, and more natural illumination of interior scenes
- Now supports look development nodes introduced in Maya 2016 Extension 1
- Now supports the latest version of OpenSubdiv
- Up to 2X faster performance
- Added support for color sets
- Cache XGen collections to V-Ray scene files for better performance
- Added support for displacement, subdivision, and VRayUserColor
- Added support for frame animation from archive
- Optimized user interface and default render settings